Wednesday, February 26, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 2/26



I've got little patches of these beautiful crocus coming up everywhere in the flower beds.  These little beauties give me hope for spring and all the other lovelies that follow.  Followers of Miss MoneyPenny know of her aversion to the month of February so every little bit helps.

You might remember that I mentioned a while back that I was going to get my raspberry patch sorted but I didn't have a clue how to do it.  Enter YouTube.  I'm here to tell you that it worked like a charm.  I knew just what to do and went at it.

I was asking my friend, Miss Know-It-All, what did we do before YouTube.  She said that we would just go to the library and check out a book on pruning.  I told her that I own a good book on pruning but when I go outside and am presented with the real live shrubs I can't find all those helpful little hash marks like in the book that tell you where to cut.  But - when you watch a real live person do it, it makes sense.

Anyway, let's take a look at the ad for this week.  The highlights for this week are asparagus ($1.77/lb) and grapefruit (10 for $10).  I admit that I ate the entire bunch of asparagus at one sitting the last time it was on sale.  It was just so yummy.  All I did was roast it in the oven (400) until barely tender.  Before I put it in the oven I added olive oil and salt and pepper.  A squeeze of lemon at serving is good, also.

Here are my suggestions for "real food":

Lean Ground Beef - $4.99/lb
Pork Shoulder Roast - $1.79/lb
Asparagus - $1.77/lb
Blueberries - $4.99/18oz
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
Colored Bell Peppers - $1.50/ea
Organic Grape Tomatoes - $3/10oz
Texas Red Grapefruit - $1/ea
Zucchini or Yellow Squash - $1.29/lb

Reminder:

We should be receiving the bill for February charges on our Costco American Express card soon.  Usually they put the rebate check on the back pages of the bill, so look carefully.  My first year I shredded it thinking that I was going to receive a separate check in the mail!!   And remember - you don't have to spend your money at Costco.  Last year, customer service cashed my check for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment