Wednesday, January 16, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 1/16/13


Sometimes, no matter how well I plan, things go bad in the MoneyPenny kitchen.  For example: last week QFC had eggplant, peppers and zucchini on sale and they just spoke to me of summer and ratatouille, a vegetable stew that I really like.  After I finished my morning cup of coffee (more like a tankard) I started chopping and throwing veggies into the crockpot.  My last veggie was the beautiful purple eggplant.  I lovingly washed and dried it.  Then I cut it in half and to my dismay it was rotten!!


What to do??!!  I decided to add the odds and ends of leftover veggies from the refrigerator.  How could that be bad??  I love vegetable stews.  But in this case I was wrong because after cooking most of the day, it looked like this:



Doesn't look too bad.  Tastes awful.  I'm letting it cool out in the fridge for a few days to fix itself.  If it doesn't, it will go for a ride out to the compost.  And, yes, I will be talking to the produce manager at QFC.  He will give me a refund for the eggplant but I still pretty much wasted about $7 in produce.  Maybe the moral of this story is I should have waited until summer to cook ratatouille as it is a warm, summery dish.

I'm just not feeling the love for this week's QFC ad and if you want produce, forgetaboutit.  Here are the highlights:

4 Day Ad - Thursday thru Sunday -

Coffee Bean Coffee - $4.99/12oz
Chobani Greek Yogurt - $ .80/6oz
QFC Milk or Orange Juice - $1/1/2 gal

Regular Ad -

Mission Flour Tortillas - $1/10ct
General Mills Cereal - 4 for $10 (free gallon of milk when you buy 4)
Rosarita Refried Beans - $1/16oz (I'm thinking Mexican this week)
QFC Sour Cream - $1/16oz
Draper Valley Whole Chickens - $ .88/lb (this is the star of the ad)
Anjou or Bosc Pears - $1.49/lb
Jazz Apples - $1.99/lb
Medium Hass Avocados - $1/ea
Fresh Cut Daffodils - $2.50/bunch
Primroses - $1/ea

I was going to buy primroses last week but they only had white.  I like white but just to set off the beautiful jewel colors of the others.  I'm definitely springing for the daffodils because nothing says, well, spring, like daffodils.  I had to memorize and recite the poem Daffodils by William Wodsworth when I was in ninth grade and almost passed out from stage fright but I still love daffodils and don't hold it against them.


1 comment:

  1. I remember once when you made the shrimp thingy (we can't call it the "other" name in public), the shrimp was bad and you went back to the store and not only got refunded the price for the shrimp, but the cream cheese and cocktail sauce too! Speaking of store... remember the time that we went to the store and you whipped out your checkbook and started writing your check and I casually asked if you had any money in it this time, thinking that I was funny? The store clerk made you dig out all sorts of pieces of I.D. Ooops... well, it was still funny, right? :-)

    ReplyDelete