Wednesday, November 13, 2013

QFC Grocery Basket 11/13



What is it, you ask??  This beautiful piece of titanium is what my new hip will look like and I'm pretty sure it will set off all the bells and whistles at the airport from now on.  Dr. Watters tells me that he will saw (oooh!!) off my old hip and stick this thing down into my bone which will then grow around it.  My socket will not be replaced but he will "machine" it so that it will be nice and smooth again.  Sounds pretty straightforward.  I can't wait!!

Getting ready for a major surgery and the recovery after has been a real big deal and I'm not talking about the many doctor visits, x-rays, and blood work.  I have been surrounded by endless lists hoping to make things go smoothly.  My motto has been "plan for the worst, hope for the best."

I had to arrange for someone to stay at my house and take care of my babies while I am in the hospital.  My old schnauzer, Pici, requires meds twice a day and a diaper at night because sometimes she wets when she goes into her deep, deep sleep.  There are also two more dogs, a cat, and a couple of horny parakeets that have to be tended to.

I need someone to pick me up when I'm ready to go home and my dear sister, Miss SmartyPants, is putting her life (which involves raising her three small grandchildren and running a tax accounting business) on hold and driving up here from the southern Oregon coast.  The thought of spending time with her is getting me through all this with a big smile.

My son, the plumber, is bringing his crew up today to start installing a new walk-in shower which will certainly make things easier and safer.

I just spoke with Miss Judith who runs the HomeLibrary program for the library which I used to be involved with.  This is a wonderful program which allows shut-ins to have library service.  The way it works is - once a month Judith comes to your home with books, music, movies, etc., and takes back the empties.  She will either choose for you (after an interview about your tastes) or you can choose your own materials on the library's website.  It never occurred to me way back then that I would be using this fabulous service.  My tax dollars at work!!

Okay - let's look at the ad this week.  I thought that we would be looking at sales on turkey this week at QFC.  Maybe next week but Safeway has it on sale for $ .68 a pound and Butterballs for $1.29 per pound.  QFC is still running the Buy 10/Save $5 promo on a lot of items that come in handy for holiday dinners.  Don't forget to visit their website and download digital coupons to help with the savings.

Here are the highlights this week:

Kroger Spices - $2.50/ea
Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Kroger Pumpkin - $1/15oz
Fage Greek Yogurt - $1/7oz
Kroger Cheese - $2.99/lb
QFC Large Eggs - $1.99/18ct
Handi-Foil Foilware - $3/1-3ct
Draper Valley Whole Chickens - $ .99/lb
Winter Squash (select varieties) - $ .89/lb
Pears - $ .99/lb
California Cuties - $3.99/3lb bag
Cranberries - $2.59/12oz bag
Jumbo Artichokes - $2.50/ea
Tomatoes on the Vine - $1.69/lb

Buy10/Save $5 Promo:

Betty Crocker Cake Mixes - $ .99/ea
Carnation Evaporated Milk - $ .89/12oz
QFC Milk - $1.29/64oz
Campbell's Cream Mush/Chick Soup - $ .69/ea
French's French Fried Onions - $2.49/6oz
Hunt's Tomatoes - $ .79/14.5oz
Swanson Broth - $ .49/14.5oz (those cans are getting smaller)
Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce - $ .99/14oz can
Challenge Butter - $1.99/lb
International Delight - $2.49/qt

This will be the last post until after my surgery because I have so much to take care of between then (Monday) and now.  Don't worry, I will tell you all about it.  I'm also going to talk about maneuvering the health care system and its high cost.  I have excellent insurance and have already forked over $2000 plus in co-pays and we are not done yet because we still have 48 days left in 2013 and a major surgery coming up.  Remember when I said that medical and vet bills were the wild card in your well thought out budget??  Man!! I sure knew what I was talking about.



1 comment:

  1. I'll be there to pick you up at the hospital! See you next week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete