Wednesday, January 21, 2015

QFC Grocery Basket 1/21



Check out the little nubbins coming up in my Autumn Sedum!!  These little babies are the first to show their faces in late winter and the last ones blooming in early winter.  Every flower bed loves to have them in the mix.  They are almost maintenance free except for that "prune in June" thing where you pinch them down a third or so to avoid the floppsies when they bloom.



Changing the subject to Bradley Cooper - if you want to see a movie that will get you going, one way or the other, go see American Sniper.  I'm not a war movie person but I usually enjoy anything that Clint Eastwood does and I'm a big fan of Bradley.  I'm not gonna lie to you.  This is a hard movie to watch but if you are at all curious about what goes on over in the Mideast this might answer some questions.  I also came away with a deeper understanding of our vets...and appreciation.

Okay - moving on to the grocery ad for this week.  A couple of things to mention are the fresh Alaska cod and the asparagus.  Most people prefer the little skinny spears of asparagus but really the fatter ones are much more tender.  When I'm washing the asparagus I take each spear and give it a bend.  It will break where the tender spot is.  The tough ends go out to the compost pile to join the wormies.

The last time that the cod was on sale I bought enough for two meals.  I cut it up and soaked it in beer and then dusted it with Krusteaz Bake "n Fry Mix.  I baked it at 400 until done, turning once as it browned on the bottom.  It was so good with a squeeze of lemon that I ate the whole thing in one sitting.  So much for my plans.

If you have been jonesing for berries as I have, QFC has them on sale for $2.50.  A couple of weeks ago I purchased the blueberries that were on sale and they were just not wonderful.  Once you get used to eating berries out of your backyard, nothing else measures up.  If you are planning on buying the berries give them a good sniff.  Usually if they smell good they will taste good.

Here are my suggestions for this week:

Mission Flour Tortillas - $1.25/10ct
QFC Milk - $ .99/half gal
Kroger Cottage Cheese - $1.50/16 oz
Kroger Sour Cream - $1.50/16oz
Boneless Chuck Roast - $3.99/lb
Boneless Top Sirloin Steak - $6.99/lb
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast - BOGO
Fresh Alaska Cod Fillets - $7.99/lb
Asparagus - $2.99/lb
Cucumbers - $ .69/ea
Green Bell Peppers - $ .69/ea
Eggplant - $1.50/ea
Jazz Apples - $1.99/lb
Organic Anjou Pears - $1.99/lb
Organic Bunch Carrots or Beets - $2/bunch
Strawberries - $2.50/lb (God only knows where they are from)


You might remember that I mentioned a few weeks ago that my sister eats salad for breakfast with eggs on top.  She sent me this snap the other day of her breakfast.  I'm gonna take the last of the Kale Salad Mix that I told you about last week and cook it up for lunch.  I think that it will be very tasty with a couple of poached eggs and a buttered English muffin.

FYI:

Miss PeggyRae gave me a gift certificate to Red Robin and Miss MaggieMay and I had lunch there yesterday.  I haven't eaten there since the 80s and I don't know why because that was a seriously good burger.  They also have endless fries.  I thought that the fries were just average.  If you want crazy good fries, the best ever, go to Burgers Landing in Port Hadlock.  They also have a good old fashioned burger that is pretty good and a very good price.

No comments:

Post a Comment