Wednesday, September 24, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 9/24



Readers of Miss MoneyPenny know how much she loves the fall but it sure is gonna be sad when she can't go out in her backyard and pick what is needed for a dinner dish.  I took advantage of the sale last week and bought two large red peppers.  I cut them up and added them to the mix above (except the lemon cucumbers) and roasted them for a great soup.  In fact, I'm having the last of it today for lunch.

Now that is eating locally and seasonally when everything is fresh and at its best...and at the least expensive...if you aren't growing it in your garden.  I really get thrilled when I need an onion and just go outside and pull one whether it be a Walla Walla or a red onion.  I'm looking into one of those onion storage containers that I saw in the latest gardening catalog.  Putting things out in the shed is dicey because the ratties would take care of it in no time but that might work.

And speaking of fall, I've been working on checking things off my list for getting ready for winter.  I made an appointment for an oil change and winterizing with my mechanic, put flannel sheets on the bed, put away the fans, and got my flu shot.  I'm raking leaves for the compost and slowly putting the garden to bed.  I also fought the blackberries (and that was one hell of a job) and got them stacked up for Chris to haul away.  I put away all my shorts and capris and threw all of my flip flops in the washer for a good going over.  How did I end up with four pairs of flip flops??

I still have to call to get my heat pump maintained, make my mammogram appointment, and make an appointment with the dermatologist to assess the damage from all the sun we had this summer.  And they are calling for a nice weekend so I'm going to scrub my deck cushions and let them dry in the sun and take down the umbrella.  The work never stops around here.

Okay - let's look at the ad.  Kind of ho-hum this week.  If you are planning on making the famous green bean casserole for the holidays you can stock up on Campbell's soup and green beans for a dollar a can.  I also  noticed that the only fresh veggie on sale this week is hard squash at $ .99 a pound.

Here are my suggestions this week:

Starbucks Coffee - $6.99/12oz or 10ct K-cup
Campbell's Soup - $1/can
Chicken of the Sea Tuna - $ 50/can
Del Monte Vegetables - $1/can
Rosarita Refried Beans - $1/can
Mission Flour Tortillas - $1/10ct
Draper Valley Split Breasts - $1.99/lb
Fresh Wild Alaska Cod Fillets - $7.99/lb
Fresh Wild Coho Fillets - $8.99/lb
Boneless Chuck Roast - $3.99/lb
Hard Squash - $ .99/lb
Gala Apples - $1.29/lb
Large Navel Oranges - $ .99/lb
NW Yellow Peaches or Nectarines - $1.49/lb
Red, Green or Black Seedless Grapes - $1.99/lb
Nancy's Yogurt - $3.99/64oz


Check out the size of these cucumbers!!  I'm almost afraid to open them up for fear that the seeds will be as big as marbles.  Sweet Mikey from across the street brought them over with a five gallon bucket of yellow crooknecks that were so giant and hard that you could use them for ammo.  He said that they got away from him.  I suggested that he use them in gourd arrangements since they were so pretty but totally inedible.





No comments:

Post a Comment