Wednesday, January 29, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 1/29



This is one of those days that my favorite ex-husband used to call "another suicide gray day" and I totally get it.  It is so dark that you need your lights on all day just to see, and I have white walls, lots of windows, and three skylights.

It is so gloomy outside that my camera kept trying to use the flash on my pics.  Pictured above is the garlic that I planted last fall.  I don't know what happens with garlic as this is the first time for me.  I got the cloves from a friend who got them from a friend when she came back from Italy so these are the real deal.  I use quite a bit of garlic in my cooking so I'm really looking forward to it.


This is my old contractors wheel barrow that has been put out to pasture.  That damned thing is just too heavy and dangerous.  I actually ended up in the emergency room getting stitches when the it sliced my ankle.  I still have the scar to remind me.  Anyway, I re purposed it for the zucchini plants and it works really well.  It keeps them confined and the dirt gets hot enough for them.  Coming happily up are daffodils and after them, the tulips.

Last year I made my New Years resolution to get my house organized.  Did not happen.  Not one drawer or closet.  I spent most of last year dealing with pain starting out the year with an unhappy scapula, then moving onto an unhappy tooth, and then finishing out the last half with a blown out hip.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

So this year I've decided to get my recreation budget under control.  As I was going through my budget at year end I was shocked at how much money I spent on just eating out.  Now if my house was paid for and I had lots of disposable income, I could justify this but that is not me.

I live on a tight budget and it seems that I consider my recreation to be eating out.  Does that make me a recreational eater??  God, I hope not.  I also love the movies but find myself short and not able to afford going because I'd eaten out so much.  Now, let's get real here.  I would say that I don't really enjoy 75% of the food that I pay for when I eat out.  As my sister says - we can make it better and cheaper at home.

So my resolution this year is to control my meals out and look for "real recreation" and use dining out as a special occasion.  Example:  Miss MaggieMay and I went to Costco yesterday.  Usually we eat in a restaurant which usually costs me $15 to $20 and I rarely feel that it has been money well spent.

Yesterday we had a Costco hot dog and lemonade for $1.63, including tax, and it was delicious and quick.  We were just shopping and I was meeting friends for Mexican in the evening (I had a burrito, chips & salsa, and tip $14), so why have an expensive lunch out??  I agree with Miss MaggieMay in that we are taking a meal out for granted.  Something to think about.

Here are my suggestion for "real food" from the QFC ad this week:

Tully's Coffee - $6.99/12oz
Chobani/Fage Yogurt - $1/7oz
Darigold Sour Cream - $1.50/16oz
Tillamook Medium Cheddar Cheese - $4.99/2lb (buy 2, they keep well)
Pork Chops - BOGO
USDA Choice Boneless New York Strip Steaks - $5.99/lb
Fresh Dover Sole - $5.99/lb
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $ .99/lb
Cucumbers - $ .68/ea
Green Bell Peppers - $ .68/ea
Fuji Apples - $1.68/lb
Medium Hass Avocados - $ .99/ea
Mango - $ .99/ea

QFC is offering fresh cut tulips bunches of five for 3/$10.  For my vase 10 is perfect and they really brighten up a dreary day for not a lot of money.

And speaking of bright - check out my rhubarb patch.


Again, the flash kept going off but you can see that the rhubarb is getting ready to do its thing.

1 comment:

  1. First of all - You forgot that you had double carpal surgery too! (by the way.. I had to look up Scapula)

    Second of all - Your favorite ex-husband used to spend those suicide gray days filling up your freezer with fresh fish! Oh, how we didn't realize how great it was to always have fresh or fresh/frozen fish in the house.

    Third of all - You forgot to mention that when you dig up the garlic bulbs, you will be sharing with your sister.... Duh....

    Fourth - I think that every time you don't eat out (or are very frugal eating for less than $2), you should be putting the extra money in your vacation savings so you can afford to go somewhere with your sister.

    Fifth - I keep waiting for a picture of that cute little bird's nest in the big tree in your front yard before the leaves fill in and we can't see it.

    There! I'm done for now.....

    Miss Smarty Pants

    ReplyDelete