Wednesday, January 8, 2014

QFC Grocery Basket 1/8



Now that the holidays are past and we are starting to settle into the dark days of winter, it is just the right time for some exciting reading.  This is my assortment of catalogs that came in the mail lately.  Even though I prefer to get my seeds from Territorial I like to see what the other guys are offering.  Plus, you can get some good ideas from reading their catalogs for planning your garden.

In the past I bought my Territorial seeds from the local garden centers but I've discovered that they don't have everything that is offered.  I'm still going to buy my tomato and pepper starts there.  Why I'm still going to try and grow peppers is a mystery to me.  I've suffered a real beatdown where peppers are concerned.  This year my plan is to never let them leave the greenhouse - no matter how hot a summer we have or how big they get.

As I look at the QFC ad I'm having a hard time getting inspired.  I've been home from the hospital six weeks and I'm barely doing any cooking and that has got to stop.  Not only for my budget but also my health.  A person can't survive very well on sandwiches, so I'm vowing to get over it and start cooking again.  And I'm going to start eating more fruits and veggies.  I need to be up and running for gardening season, after all.

Don't forget the food bank because even though Christmas is over, people are still hungry.  I'm pretty sure that a lot of people are running short after paying their electric bill after the cold snaps that we have been having this winter and are having to rely on the food bank to feed their families.  Pet food is always appreciated, also.

Here are my suggestions for this week:

Franz Organic Bread - $2.99/loaf
Mission Tortillas - $1/10ct (tacos, anyone?)
Tully's Coffee - $6.99/12oz
S&W Beans - $1/can
La Victoria Salsa - $1.50/16oz
Greek Gods Yogurt - $2.50/24oz
Birds Eye Frozen Veggies - $1/16oz
Colgate Toothpaste - $1/4.6oz
Nature Made Vitamins/Supplements - BOGO
Jennie-O Ground Turkey - $2.99/lb
Lean Ground Beef - $4.99/lb
Angel Soft Bath Tissue - $1/4rolls
Barilla Pasta - $1/16oz
Colored Bell Peppers - $1/ea
English Cukes - $1/ea
Large Hass Avocados - $1.50/ea
Mangos - $ .99/ea
Organic Navel Oranges - $1.49/lb


Here we are with another of my blurry pictures but trying to get parakeets to hold still is impossible.  I'm sad to announce that while I was in the hospital my old parakeet, Miss Stevie Nicks, passed away.  This really upset my friends who were taking care of the house for me but she was at least 10 years old.

Poor Eddie Vedder, the green one, was so lonely it was painful to see, so the Bradster and I went to Pet Smart and picked up Miss Billie Holiday - the lavender bird pictured.  They hated each other on the spot and spend two days crashing into the sides of the cage.  I was just sure we were going to have to take her back but they settled in.  You can see that he is telling her about what a crazy, mad lover he is but she isn't yet convinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment