Sunday, November 13, 2011

Grocery Basket 11/12

Miss MoneyPenny did her grocery shopping on Saturday this week.  It wasn't as crazy in the store as I thought it would be, but I was prepared with my list, just in case.  The only item that I took a chance on was fish for dinner.  We found some really fresh fillet of sole for $5.99 a pound that was very tasty.  The fish lady (the best ever) told us to bake it at 400 with a drizzle of melted butter and salt and pepper.  She suggested three to four minutes, but seven worked better in my old oven.  Very simple but elegant, as my dear mother used to say.

QFC has a pretty good sale this week.  They are still running their Buy 10/Save $5 promotion if you need green beans for that famous Thanksgiving casserole.  That stuff sure looks like something that the cat threw up, but it tastes pretty good....and salty.  Here is what I was looking at:

Asparagus - 1.98/lb
Haas avocados - $1 ea ( In my humble opinion, you can't beat Costco for avocados.  They are twice the size and always ripen up nicely.)
Broccoli/Cauliflower - $1/lb
Tillamook medium cheese 2/lb - 4.99
Organic Fujis - 1.49/lb
Clementines - 3.99 for 3/lbs  (Miss CuteyPie told me that these were very good and she was right on.)
Spinach/leaf lettuce - $1 ea

I thought that this was a pretty good mix of sale items if you are trying to eat what is on sale and follow a thoughtful diet.  I did not use one coupon and still saved 38 percent on my grocery basket when I checked out.  It is very hard to find coupons for fresh food, but if you buy what is seasonal and on sale, you can save quite a lot.

You may have noticed that the guy from Seattle has been messing with my photo.  It is a work in progress and subject to change.  You know...these digital cameras can be dangerous, if you know what I mean.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Miss Moneypenny--

    I must be one of your blog's most avid readers, and I've saved tons of cash since I became a Moneypenny fan. Plus, I LOVE your new photo, which makes you look so fetchingly hirsute, coy, and lovely. My compliments to the photographer.

    So why don't you tell that guy from Seattle to go for a hike and take me instead?

    What are you doing this coming Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave. I think your picture is very nice.

    ReplyDelete