Monday, July 18, 2011

Gold Mining

This morning while I was getting ready for work, I was listening to National Public Radio.  They said that gold was going for over $1600 an ounce.  That would be pure gold.  It got me to thinking.  Now, you know, Miss MoneyPenny loves her bling just like you do.  I'm not suggesting that we go crazy here.  I'm just sayin' that surely you have some broken, old pieces from the '80s that you never wear anymore.  I bet that if you dug deep into the old jewelery box you would be surprised at what you find there.  I did a little digging and came up with some gold chains that were so ratted up that there is no way they will ever be straight again.  There were a number of other items that I didn't even remember that I had.

 So the deal here is to go to your reputable jeweler, not some place that advertises on late TV.  Your jeweler, and every girl has one, will figure out how much gold is in each piece...like 14 carat, etc.  Even though you have say 10 ounces of stuff, you are not going to make $16,000 on the deal.  You will be paid only for the gold part.  Still, it will be a significant amount of cold hard cash.  You may also find out that those gold earrings that you got from a former boyfriend, husband, etc. aren't gold after all.  Embarrassing, but pretty funny when you think about it.

You may wonder where I am going with this gold deal.  I think that this would be a great way to start to fund your "don't worry" account.  You could put it towards credit cards, but I believe that it is hard to quit using your cards in emergencies if you don't have the money to pay at the time.  The cycle just keeps going.  For example, you don't have a category set up for vet bills and your favorite pug baby swallows a squeaker toy.  Of course you put this on your card because you love your baby.  It never ends.

I know I'm going against conventional wisdom here but I would pay the minimum on the credit cards until I got my "don't worry" account up and running.  How will you ever get out of credit card debt if you have to keep using them because you do not have any money set aside for emergencies?  Once you have a reasonable amount in each of your categories, you can really go after those credit cards and take 'em out!!  Then you can either cut them up or learn how to have your way with them for a change.  See how they like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment