Wednesday, April 1, 2015

QFC Grocery Basket 4/1



I was able to get a snap of my wheel barrow daffodils before they faded.  Who knew that you could grow so much cool stuff in an old wheel barrow??  I put it out to pasture after it sent me to the ER.  The darned thing is actually too big for lady garden use.  My favorite ex husband bought this for me years ago and like everything else he bought it had to be heavy duty.  I'm actually still using one of the hoses that he bought in 1990.  It is so heavy that I can hardly carry it.


This is Lou in 2015.  Lou was my daughter-in-law's mother and she was a sweetheart of a lady.  After she passed Miss PeggyRae split up her giant shamrock and gave away pieces to people that cared about Lou.  I got this one and it is still in its original pot.  It goes crazy and blooms all spring and summer.  Come fall she gets leggy and sad looking so I give her a butch and let her winter in the guest room.  She always lets me know when she is ready for prime time.  I bring her out and give her a good jolt of food and away she goes.

I want to mention that Miss Jeannie sent me a text telling me that she has a killer recipe for fillet of sole after I posted the ad last week.  Okay, girl, let's see it.  I'll share when I hear from her.  Miss Jeannie and I were roomies for a year and I can vouch for her amazing cooking skills, so this should be good.

Are you getting ready for Easter??  Easter is one of my favorite holidays.  My mother always made a big deal out of Easter.  We would get a new outfit (handmade by her), go to church, have an Easter egg hunt, and she would cook a big ham dinner.  I carried on the tradition except for the outfit and church part.  Now the kids do it and they have a diabolical adult Easter egg hunt that really brings out the worst in us.  We don't drink before the hunt so you can see how serious we are.  None of us like ham so usually barbecue is on the menu.

If you are having ham be sure and get bone-in so that you can make navy bean or split pea soup afterwards.  Also be sure and get those eggs back in the fridge soon so they don't go bad on you before you can make deviled eggs.  I've never been sick from bad Easter eggs but I imagine that it can't be pleasant.

Okay, let's look at the ad for this week.  The first thing I notice is there aren't any big sales on eggs.  What is the deal with that??  Anyway - asparagus and strawberries are going for $1.88 per pound.  I like to make strawberry shortcake for Easter and I make actual shortcakes - none of those icky spongy things that taste like sweet mushy something.  You can make the shortcakes ahead so they aren't a hassle at the last minute.  My mom always buttered them first before adding the strawberries.  I know it sounds strange but it was delish.

Here are my suggestions:

Simple Truth Cage Free Eggs - $2.50/doz
Private Selection Spices - 33% off
Tillamook Cheese - $5.99/2lb
Hormel Cure 81 Spiral Slice Half Ham - $1.88/lb
Top Round Roast - $3.99/lb
Fresh Wild Alaska Cod Fillets - $7.99/lb
Asparagus - $1.88/lb
Celery - $ .99/lb
Driscoll's Strawberries - $1.88/lb
Green Beans - $1.99/lb
Green Onions or Radishes - $ .69/bunch
Large Navel Oranges - $ .99/lb
Organic Broccoli - $1.49/lb
Red Garnet or Jewel Yams - $ .99/lb
Whole Pineapple - $2.50/ea


My sister posted this on Facebook for growing viney things like squash and pumpkins since they take up a lot of space in raised beds.  I think that this is a great idea and I'm gonna try it.  When everything is done growing just shoot the whole thing into the compost.  Genius!!

No comments:

Post a Comment